Cheesy Faux Potatoes
I am going to make a bold statement right now. Everyone loves potatoes. Especially mashed potatoes, and preferably next to some roasted turkey, green beans and gravy. Sigh…now my mouth is watering. It is probably good for our waistline that Thanksgiving only comes around one time a year. Lucky for us, we can make copy-cat recipes that will remind us of our favorite time of the year, especially since it is quickly approaching. Cauliflower is wonderful low-carb option to our dear friend, Mr. Potato. Cauliflower is very good at taking strong flavors and seasonings and developing an alter ego! I keep a few frozen bags in my freezer all the time for a quick side dish. These cheesy faux mashed potatoes were so good and hit the spot for quite a few less calories and carbs than our other option! It is super simple to make and the recipe can be adjusted to fit your personal preference.
Here is what you need (serves 4-6…I enjoy a bigger serving)
-3 frozen bags of cauliflower
-1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (you can also use chicken or veggie broth)
- 2-3 tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter
-1 tbsp garlic salt
-3/4-1 cup vegan cheddar cheese (or regular cheese)
-salt and pepper to taste
- Add bacon bits, low fat sour cream, and chives for loaded mashed cauliflower
- Add roasted garlic, parmesan cheese, and rosemary for a garlic infused mash
Here is what to do:
1. Put frozen bags of cauliflower into the microwave and let steam in bags until completely cooked through. This will be different depending on your microwave. Start with 8-10 minutes and go from there. You can feel through the bag if it is cooked because it will not be cold anymore.
2. Put your steamed cauliflower into your food processor, or you can use a hand masher (like mashed potatoes).
3. Add the rest of your ingredients, keep ¼ cup of cheese out for garnish.
4. Pulse in food processor. Once the mixture is smooth, taste and adjust until you are happy with the end product!
5. This recipe is a good base, but just like any other wonderful recipe, it is made with love and intuition. So, let your taste buds be the guide!
I hope you take advantage of the creativity that goes hand in hand with a recipe like this. It is so easy to adjust it add your favorite flavor profiles! Let me know what you create, It might give me some good ideas too!
With love and a happy tummy,