Fantastic Festive Fudgy Fall (Food Allergy Friendly) Brownies
I love lengthy alliteration. I laughed as I wrote it; I don’t know what that says about me, other than the fact that my sense of humor is a little lame. Anyway, let me talk about these brownies. Pre- food allergies, one of my favorite things in the world was a good chocolate chunk brownie. I am very particular about the perfect brownie. I don’t like them warm and right out of the oven and soft. I like them the next day and I like the edges to be a little crispy. It is like the most wonderful and perfect treat, and if you want them to be even better, add some chocolate chunks. BOOM! Blaine’s favorite brownie. My momma used to make chocolate chunk brownies almost every Saturday night. Well, every Sunday afternoon I would cut the edges around the pan and eat a (4) brownie(s) while we all hung out after church and watched a movie and relaxed.
When people ask me what food I miss the most since I was diagnosed with food allergies, those brownies (and Cheese-Its) are it. For the last 6 plus years I have not found a brownie that I can eat that even compares to my mom’s fudgy chocolate chunk brownies. I have finally found it. I have finally found a brownie that meets my standards and makes my heart and tummy happy. I brought these brownies with me on my Ultra Weekend and I ate them pre-race and post-race and for every snack for those two days. So, pretty much I am an ultra runner fueled by chocolate chunk brownies. They seemed to work pretty well though, I actually think they may become a pre-race tradition.
I hope I have you all excited, because my mouth is literally watering typing about them. They have been taste tested and approved by many people, and for homemade brownies, they aren’t too hard to make!
P.S. These aren’t particularly healthy, they are just G-Free and food allergy friendly!
What you need:
½ cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp butter (I used Earth Balance Soy Free Vegan Butter)
2 TBSP dairy free milk
1 cup plus ¼ cup (for making chocolate chunks) Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup Bobs Red Mill G-free baking flour
¼ tsp baking soda
Pinch of Salt
What to do:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees and grease an 8x8 nonstick pan
2. In a small saucepan combine sugar, vegan butter, and milk. Cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil (this happens quickly).
3. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until they are completely melted.
4. Add eggs and vanilla to the mixture and whisk quickly to incorporate (don’t let the eggs cook in the heat, add one at a time).
5. Add in flour, baking soda, and salt. Do this all gradually to make sure completely incorporated.
6. Pour batter into pan and lick spoon…and escape to your happy place for about 60 seconds.
7. Sprinkle with chocolate chips on top/mix some of them into the mixture. Don’t skip this step. It makes them even more wonderful.
8. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. I usually start with a little less time and then add more time if I need to.
I feel like this recipe represents a milestone in my life. A happy balance and an awesome recipe that reminds me of such a peaceful time in my life. When Sundays were for slowing down and being care free. In my bible study this week we talked about or dreams and how important it is to not live in fear of failure. To remember how big our God is and the amount of influence we can have when we are working for his glory. So, even though this is a brownie recipe, here is a friendly reminder to dream big and change the world!
With love and a happy tummy,