My Skin Care Routine
A lot of you all probably don't know this about me, especially if you aren't someone who I spend time with personally, but I have Keratosis Polaris AKA Chicken Skin or whatever you call it, and it's pretty severe. It covers both my legs and my arms, and it has been like this my whole life. My skin is really sensitive to most shampoos/conditioners/body wash/face lotion/makeup wipes etc. A lot of it is a mixture of allergies and just having sensitive skin. The cool thing is that I have figured out ways to combat these issues and if you deal with any of these, maybe these products will help you as well! Oh yeah, and lets not forget, pregnancy made my skin feel gross too...it just didn't feel 'bright' or glowing like many people talk about. Maybe thats because Clarke is stealing all of my beauty...haha
I have found that it is really important to do your research when it comes to these products and figure out what has been proven to be effective and what is just crap. I am a believer in natural products and the healing power they can have on your skin, and try to skip on the harsh chemicals because FYI our skin is our largest organ and I want mine to look glowing and healthy for as long as possible! Not only that, but during pregnancy, I became even more passionate about not only what I was putting into my body, but what I was putting on my body as well. A great resource and wealth of information is Liz Wolfe from www.realfoodliz.com and her website is where I did a lot of research and looked for good unbiased information about certain qualities and ingredients to look for in beauty products.
SUPER simple. I use Dove body wash in the shower, because I am not allergic to it, but have been researching new products to try as well. I like how readily available it is in most convenient stores, and I also use their shampoo and conditioner. The only other step I take in the shower is every 6 weeks or so I use a full body exfoliator to scrape all of the dead skin off of my body, and it's honestly insane how different your skin feels 24-48 hours later. Disclaimer: you do scrape pretty hard, so it kind of hurts, but nothing more that a little discomfort while you are doing it. It doesn't hurt afterwards. You can buy them on amazon. Here are two options: Le Edge or Exfolimate
I use pure unrefined organic coconut oil you can buy HERE after I get out of the shower. This has been the only product I have ever used on my KP that has improved it at all, and let me tell you. I have tried every single product they make. If you haven't tried this, you totally should. Its cost effective and the natural smell of coconut oil is heavenly. It soaks into your skin nicely and doesn't leave a greasy feeling.
Shower: I use Wheeler Saxon Labs Nanocleanse Deep Cleaning Acne Wash. Although I am not sure that it is even still available, which is a recent discovery. I have been using it for years. Anyway...that's all I do to my face in the shower. You can also try this one by Body Merry- Glycolic Acid Exfoliating Cleanser .
1. I take my makeup off with my home made makeup remover pads, you can make them HERE.
2. I use Andalou Naturals Willow Bark Pure Toner . I love this product because no matter how much I try to get my makeup off before using this product, this toner always seems to get more. It has a cooling effect when you use it, and it makes my face feel so dang clean!
3. I use 100% Pure - Organic Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream under my eyes. I did a lot of research before I decided to buy this eye cream. I wanted an all natural product, and I wanted one that had caffeine in it. Research shows that this is important in an under eye cream. I LOVE how this product smells and the amount you get will last you a long time, because a little goes a long way.
4. I use Andalou Naturals Resveratrol Q10 Night Repair Cream . I really enjoy this product too! Actually, I love the whole brand. I don't know if I will ever go back to using some of the other products I used to use. I love that they are all natural. This lotion smells wonderful, it goes on in an awesome consistency, and my face feels really refreshed in the morning. I also use this on my neck, just an FYI.
5. I use a stretch mark cream every night before I go to bed! I tried Body Merry-Stretch Marks & Scars Defense Cream . I have tried a few different creams throughout my pregnancy and this one is BY FAR my favorite one. It is so much thicker than the other ones I tried, and I am so glad I switched to this one a few months ago, when my belly actually started growing and getting big. I am currently 35 + 2 days pregnant and don't have any stretch marks yet (knock on wood). I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I am staying really hydrated.
1. Sometimes I will use a makeup remover pad all over my face, just because it makes me feel fresh and it makes my eyes feel clean and my beauty rest. haha
2. I use Andalou Naturals Willow Bark Pure Toner . I use this product again the AM. I want my skin to start off with a clean slate before I put on any makeup or anything like that. FYI, I just apply this with a cotton ball or a cotton pad.
3. I use 100% Pure - Organic Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream under my eyes. I again use this in the morning, mostly because I don't want under eye wrinkles and I really LOVE this product!
4. Lastly, I use 100% Pure- Red Wine Resveratrol Nourishing Cream, which is currently sold out everywhere I have looked. It was a little more on the pricey side, but I do enjoy the product a lot. It has been great for my sensitive skin and it absorbs fairly quickly into the skin, so you aren't left with a greasy feeling. I am also OBSESSED with Andalou Naturals Probiotic + C Renewal Cream
Andalou Naturals Instant Brighten & Tighten Hydro Serum Facial Mask I love a good face mask and it makes you feel fresh and pampered every once in a while. I don't do them every week or anything, just on special occasions when I want to feel a little extra. haha
My favorite sunless tanner is also a natural product that I have been using for a few years. It is a safe product for all skin types and I love the color it gives. Beauty By Earth Self Tanner