CRAVING TAKEOVER: Homemade Strawberry Lemonade
If you have been following my #growingagirlboss series, you know that I have been trying to cut down on my sugar intake and be purposeful with my diet. So I decided to get creative and figure out how to deal with my only major craving lately. Which has been LEMONADE! There were weeks in a row where I was just buying different flavors of Simply Lemonade brand and drinking that throughout the week, but a few weeks ago I quite buying it, and decided to do a little detox. Funny enough the cravings have not subsided so I wanted to make a homemade version with less sugar to keep around the house and sip on for an afternoon treat. The version I made is more sour that the lemonade you buy in the store because I am obviously trying not to have as much sugar. Anyway, here is how you make it!
5-7 Lemons (will need 1.5 cups juice)
1 qt strawberried
1/4 cup sugar (more if you want it a little sweeter)
5 cups water
*You will want to strain the lemon juice if you don't like pulp
1. Use a citrus juicer or juice by hand until you have 1.5 cups of lemon juice.
2. After juicing lemons, put water and sugar into pan and heat until sugar is combined on the water. This is called a simple syrup. You want to do this so your lemonade isn't grainy.
3. Cup the tops off of your strawberries and either crush them with a fork or put them in the blender. *For the picture you see, I put them in the Vitamix, but I think I will hand crush them next time because I like the texture.
4. Once simple syrup has cooled a little, combine mixtures into a pitcher and chill in the fridge for a few hours. You will want it to be nice and cold when you drink it!
5. This makes around 8-10 cups of lemonade or rather fills up a whole pitcher!
I hope you guys make this yummy homemade drink! I am going to try some different flavor combinations and I might share those with you as well. I am really wanting to try a homemade peach lemonade with some fresh mint from our herb garden.
With love and a happy tummy,