Healthy Dog Treats
Disclaimer: I cannot take credit for finding this recipe, although I will say I have seen the positive effects in person!
My sister's dog Avey has tons of allergies. It's honestly heartbreaking. They started getting so bad that her fur was falling out, she looked super skinny and she didn't look very healthy. She had to start getting allergy shots in order to function (I feel like I relate to that dog on such a deep level!) Anyway, the vet said that the shots were not a long term fix, so my momma started doing research on what she could do to heal our sweet girl from the inside out! What she discovered is that coconut oil has amazing healing properties! Not only for humans, but for dogs as well! Mom started making these coconut oil treats for the both of their dogs and feeding it to the 2x a day. Low and behold Avey started to heal and is like a completely new dog! She is happy and healthy and thriving! All because of this "treat" that acts as a supplement for her body!
I have been talking to my mom about these treats forever and finally made them today for my sweet girls! Our pitbull terrier, Zoey has a lot of allergies as well and is a very itchy dog, so it is my hope that these give her some relief over the coming months! They will also be great for Mia because she struggles with some hip problems!
Here are the benefits of coconut oil for Dogs:
- Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis and itchy skin
- Reduces allergic reactions and improves skin health
- Makes coats sleek and glossy
- Gets rid of doggy odor
- Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
- Disinfects cuts and promotes wound healing
- Applied topically, promotes the healing of cuts, wounds, hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings
- Protects against fleas, ticks and mites
- Soothes and heals dry cracked pads and elbow calluses
2. Digestive System
- Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
- Aids healing of digestive disorders like inflammatory bowel syndrome and colitis
- Reduces or eliminates bad breath in dogs
- Expels or kills parasites
3. Immune System
- Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal agents that prevent infection and disease
- May reduce risk of cancer
4. Endocrine/Metabolic System
- Regulates and balances insulin and can help prevent or control diabetes
- Promotes normal thyroid function
- Increases energy and helps reduce weight
5. Musculoskeletal System
- Helps build strong bones
- Eases inflammation and can help with arthritis discomfort
6. Brain, Eyes, Ears and Mouth
- Promotes good nerve and brain function and prevents dementia
- Helps clear up ear and eye infections (let it melt and then use as eye drops, and also use topically in the ears)
- Improves oral health and can be used to clean teeth
*this info comes from http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/
Now that's I have given you all of the benefits: here is the recipe! (I doubled it, just an FYI)
-1 cup peanut butter
-1 cup coconut oil
*you can also add 1/2 cup pumpkin which also has great benefits for dogs!
1. Put all ingredients into a mixing bowl and use hand mixer until mixture is smooth.
2. Next, you can either place in cupcake liners (filling them as deep as a Reesey Cup) or put in a big plastic zip-lock bag and pipe onto a cookie sheet covered in alluminum foil! I did the latter of the two. Let your puppies lick the spoon and bowl!
3. Once you put them into their desired shape/mold, place them in the freezer for at least an hour before serving!
4. Store in a Zip-lock bag or container in the freezer until they are all gone! I got about 30-35 treats out of this recipe!
Serving size: My 50lb dog gets 1-1.5 a day and my 14lb dog gets .5-1 per day!
With love and happy puppies,